The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Xbox One Collector's Edition Unboxing
|CD Projekt RED announces Gwent and bolsters Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt|
CD Projekt RED, the developer of the critically acclaimed Witcher series of games, is excited to announce Gwent, a card game experience embedded within the upcoming open world fantasy RPG-Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The studio is also thrilled to reveal the inclusion of additional physical content in the Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Gwent is a fast-paced card game that can be played within The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on every platform. Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play, Gwent is a game of initial simplicity and ultimate depth, something beloved by both road-weary travelers during long nights around the campfire and elegant nobles looking to liven up dragging dinner parties. The game is about the clash of two armies locked in mortal struggle on a battlefield where the players are the leaders and the cards their forces. With four different factions offering unique combat styles and endless paths to victory, Gwent is every adventurer’s first choice when it comes to one-on-one card-based dueling. Take risks and think on your feet, strategize and deliver cunning combos, use potent magic and mighty hero cards and be the last one standing on the field of honor!
• Over 150 unique playing cards
• 4 distinct factions: the mighty and cunning Nilfgaardian Empire, the brave Northern Realms and their siege weapons, the agile and devious Scoia’tael, and the brutal monsters of No Man’s Land.
• Powerful spells allow players to control the weather and affect units on the battlefield.
• An array of combat styles caters to individual playstyles: close range with heavy knights, long range with skilled archers or artillery with powerful siege weapons.
• Powerful hero cards, unique to each faction.
The studio has also announced the inclusion of additional physical content in the Xbox One Collector’s Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt-Gwent, a highly addictive card game, and a unique cloth map of the in-game world.
The Xbox One Collector's Edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt now contains:
• The standard edition of the game, containing: the official soundtrack, a beautiful and detailed map of the in-game world, unique stickers, and the developer-created "Witcher Universe - The Compendium"
• A giant, 33x24x26 cm, 100% hand painted, Polystone figure of Geralt of Rivia battling a Griffin
• An exclusive, collector grade Witcher medallion
• A one of a kind SteelBook
• A two-hundred page artbook, containing breathtaking art from the game
• A cloth map of the game world
• Two Gwent card decks
• Huge outer and inner Collector’s Boxes you can store your Witcher merchandise in!
“Gwent is an amazing game and we're really happy to be able to bring it to the physical realm with Microsoft's help. Now we’ve got Gwent in every copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as an in-game experience for free on every platform, and a physical version in the Xbox One CE, how awesome is that?” said Marcin Iwiñski, CD Projekt RED Co-founder and Joint CEO.
|Update: CD Projekt responds to 'heated comments' on Xbox One-exclusive Witcher 3 physical items|
Looking at the heated comments, I believe that our announcement of the physical addition of two decks of Gwent cards and a cloth map, requires a further word from us.
Here at CD Projekt Red, we always put gamers first. Our PC versions are released DRM-free, we bend over backwards to give you the most beefed up editions of our games (be it standard or Collector's), and we deliver the same game, regardless of platform or version you buy. Moreover, we promised not have any exclusive DLCs, neither per platform nor per retailer, and we do stand by our promise--nothing has changed, nor will change in this regard.
Don't get me wrong, I do understand that these extra items might be desirable for Witcher fans playing the game on other platforms. However, as we are not offering any platform or retail exclusive DLCs or any other form of gameplay differentiation, we do have to find other ways to support our partners. We are also providing special pre-order items for certain retailers around the world, including Witcher comic books, posters, steel books or medallions. Funnily enough, we did not notice any heated comments on the pre-order specials.
What is the reason? Why are we doing this? We need the support of partners to make our game visible worldwide. This should hopefully translate to better sales, which will in consequence allow us to do what we have been doing for the last 10 years, i.e. reinvest this money to make more great RPGs, while still sticking to our values.
If you still consider that adding two decks of Gwent cards and a map of the in-game world to the Xbox One CE equals us betraying our values and not fulfilling our promises, well, it does make us sad, but the final call is always yours to make.
Still, I do hope that what we offer is unique and we can ask you to give us the benefit of the doubt. We have more great things to announce for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the coming months and I promise you won't be disappointed (yes, yes, there are no more exclusives coming).